*You wonder why I love Montreal?*
Thursday, January 8th : In protest against the ongoing Israeli siege on the Gaza Strip activists in Montreal have taken action at the Israeli Consulate in Montreal.
Serving a detailed an eviction notice to the Israeli Consulate in Montreal demonstrators demanded “the eviction of the Consulate of Israel, the expulsion of the Consular General and an immediate end to the Israeli assault on Gaza.”
Effectively shutting down daily operations at the Israeli Consulate this morning activists severed an eviction notice and successfully shut-down the daily operations at the Consulate.
In solidarity with the 1.5 million people in Gaza demonstrators in Montreal are demanding an end to Israel’s military assault, the 18-month siege on the Gaza Strip and to allow humanitarian aid into the territory.
“Canada’s lack of response to recent war crimes in Gaza speaks volumes about their support for Israeli apartheid,” said Sophie Schoen, a spokesperson for the action.
Protesters are outraged at Israel’s latest assault on the Palestinian people and by the Canadian government’s refusal to condemn these massacres that have left 700 dead and over 3000 wounded since December 27, 2008.
In the past 24 hours Israeli has bombarded three U.N. schools in Gaza killing dozens of internally displaced refugees inside Gaza.
“We demand the Canadian government cut all ties with the apartheid regime of Israel,” said Mostafa Henaway of Tadamon! Montreal.
The action in Montreal comes on the heels of countless protests worldwide against Israeli war crimes, including an occupation of the Israeli Consulate in Toronto by Jewish women yesterday.
DEFENDANT: Consulate of Israel in Montreal
WHEREBY the tenant of this premise is responsible for war crimes under the fourth Geneva Convention, including ;
* The bombing of the Islamic University in Gaza City, and other civilian infrastructure such as ambulances and mosques;
* The shelling of a U.N. school in the Jabalya refugee camp in Gaza, killing over 40 people, including many children;
* The suffocation of the people of Gaza, through an imposed 18 month siege, effectively cutting-off access to fuel, cooking gas, flour, and other basic necessities;
* The killing of over 700 people, a significant portion who are civilians, during their offensive entitled “Operation Cast Lead” which began on December 27th, 2008.
THEREFORE, we as concerned resident of Montreal demand:
* The eviction of the Consulate of Israel, the expulsion of the Consular General, and an immediate end to the Israeli assault on Gaza.